USPS 2019 Postage Rate Increase
On January 27th, we will experience the new postal rates. This will affect all sort levels and classes of mail and should be considered for all 2019 budgeting. Below is a summary of some of the changes to first class mail and a chart detailing rate changes for the primary categories that affect our clients.
- The First Class Mail letter (1 oz.) rate for postage purchased at the Post Office is increasing by five cents to $0.55 from $0.50.
- Each additional ounce for a First Class Mail letter will cost an extra $0.15 (a decrease from $0.21 in 2018).
- First Class Mail Flats/Large Envelope rates are not increasing in 2019, remaining at $1.00 (1 oz.), with additional ounces costing $0.15.
- Postcard rates are also not increasing in 2019, remaining at $0.35.
- Customers who print postage online, the Metered Mail rate will now be a 5 cent discount compared to the Post Office price with rates increasing to $0.50 in 2019 from $0.47 currently.
- Each additional ounce will cost an extra $0.15 in 2019, a decrease from $0.21 currently.
- The five cent discount for online postage on a one-ounce First Class Mail letter represents a savings of 9% for consumers and small business owners.